Fri, 17 Aug 2007, by [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> Fredag 17 august 2007 13:26 skrev James Knott:
> > Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
> > > - All in the name of anti-terrorism. Yes, I know, it's all in vain, it
> > > will not keep any taleban or criminal from doing what they do. But that's
> > > not up to me. I just have to log...however stupid this is.
> >
> > Just to prove how effective that sort of thing is, last winter, I was
> > staying at a ski resort in Quebec.  They wanted $14/day for internet
> > access.  They'd block browser access, but somehow they neglected to
> > block OpenVPN.  I was able to connect to my home network and to the
> > internet from there.  If anyone logged the data, all they'd see is a
> > bunch of unintelligible UDP packets going to/from my home IP.
> >
> > --
> > Use OpenOffice.org <http://www.openoffice.org>
>
> I quite agree. See my former post. For people in the know, and all terrorists
> are... this will not prevent or stop anything.

If only because it won't stop anyone from using a modem in your
resort and just go around the LAN and logging proxy. (Or a
transceiver with digital comms to a radio / internet gateway e.g.)

Politicians (in whatever country) just assume averyone is as
ignorant with technology as they are. If they have to think of
something really effective against terrorists, like taking away the
reasons for terrorist acts, they probably fry their Homer brains in
the process.

Theo
--
Theo v. Werkhoven    Registered Linux user# 99872 http://counter.li.org
ICBM 52 13 26N , 4 29 47E.     +      ICQ: 277217131