-----Original Message-----
From: Jan Engelhardt
Subject: Re: [opensuse] System Update to 2.6.22.2-ccj52-default :
Bash/Konqueror lost opensuse"ness"

On Aug 21 2007 21:20, David C. Rankin wrote:
>    After a complete system update to 2.6.22.2-ccj52-default on my
>Toshiba P35 using "system update" in Yast, I have noticed some other
>strange behavior and my system has lost a lot of what makes opensuse
>opensuse or, in other words, its opensuseness. For starters:

If you don't like it, don't use it, simple. The changes I made to the
packages comfort me and help me doing my things faster/better.

<snip>

Do not use white xterms then ;-)
(If you like some reasons: (1) strains the eyes much more (esp. at night
time),
(2) draws more power [there has even been a slashdot article and a Black
Google for that])

If you do not like the colors, set COLORS=no in /etc/hxtools.conf, or
override them with your personal defaults in ~/.bashrc and/or ~/.dir_colors.

<snip>

Anyway, SUSE 10.3 also moved to a red prompt, so the idea must naturally be
good. (There's even a bugzilla entry for it.) Don't like it? COLORS=no will
change it.

>(3) all/most of the Bash aliases are gone, (i.e. "ll" does not give a
>long list of the directory, etc...) example:
>
>21:11 Rankin-P35a:~ > ll
>bash: ll: command not found
>21:12 Rankin-P35a:~ > la
>bash: la: command not found; and

SUSE has so many duplicate aliases, and I have decided to collapse them all
into the (already existing) `l`.

<snip>

Perhaps I should add more tuning knobs in hxtools.conf...

> I have another 10.2 machine here I could copy the files from, but I do
>not know offhand which files I need. .bashrc comes to mind, but I would
>certainly welcome a link to a quick list of files that I could start
>off replacing to attempt to cure these problems.

/etc/bash.bashrc has been patched to contain a ". /etc/hxtools_profile.sh"
line. /etc/DIR_COLORS has received the style of SUSE 6.x/7.x.

        Jan
----------------

Jan,

        Thank you for your reply. That was *exactly* the information I
needed. In my post, I was not complaining about the changes, I didn't know
if they were bugs or not, so I just posted them asking for help
understanding what changes where made and where the config files are so I
can make some changes to set them to my preferences. I think your work is
*fantastic* and a great service to the community. Like I said originally, I
was using "system update" for the first time and I was simply surprised at
the differences I found in the basic preferences and alias settings.

        Again, thank you for your response, you hit the nail on the head for
the information I was sinking. Also, thanks again for the mad-wifi drivers
yesterday, they are working great!

David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
510 Ochiltree Street