On Thursday 23 August 2007, Rick Friedman wrote:
> Rick Friedman wrote:
> > For some reason, today CPU1 is not working properly while the
> > machine is in openSuSE 10.2. My machine is a dual-boot machine with
> > the other OS being... well... the OTHER OS. It's an Intel core duo.
> >
> > Until today, everything was working fine. Suddenly, CPU1 is not
> > working. CPU0 works fine. CPU1 works fine in the other OS. Below
> > are some messages that occurred during boot up today:
> >
> > Initializing CPU#1
> > Kernel panic - not syncing: smp_callin: CPU1 started up but did not
> > get a callout!
> >
> >  Stuck ??
> > Inquiring remote APIC #1...
> > ... APIC #1 ID: failed
> > ... APIC #1 VERSION: failed
> > ... APIC #1 SPIV: failed
> > Brought up 1 CPUs
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas as to what might be happening?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rick
>
> Anyone have any ideas?? If not, I'll probably have to restore a
> system backup from before the problem occurred. Then, I'll do updates
> one by one until I see what the cause is.
>
> It would be great if someone already has an idea. :)
>
> Rick
> --
> Rick's Law: What cannot be imagined will be accomplished by a fool.

Do you remember what files you've installed or upgraded recently?  Do
you recall when was the last time you knew it was working correctly?  I
would try backtracing my steps of any recent actions to find the
problem first.  I think there is a history of those things done, but
sorry don't remember where that file is located.  Could this be part of
the recent problems showing up with Intel dual core chips?

good luck,
Lee