On Sunday 26 August 2007 16:08, Kai Ponte wrote:
> On Sunday 26 August 2007 06:27, Patrik Hasibuan wrote:
> > Dear my friends,
> >
> > Our company is developing an application for POS. It includes: Cashier
> > Machine, Barcode reader, Cash Drawer, Credit Card reader and
> > inventory+repository. It's basically a PC but equipped with the devices
> > for a kind of shop.
> >
> > We are insist to make opensuse as the priority of its platform. And we
> > need to buy the machine as the development environment. They are: 1. PC
> > Desktop; 2. Barcode reader;
> > 3. Cash Drawer;
> > 4. Credit card reader.
> >
> > So now, the question is which devices we should choose to buy so we do
> > not have too much work to build the application because our "Development
> > Time Frame" is not enough to also build the device driver, typical device
> > manager software and so on.
>
> Most of the POS OEM peeps write wintendo API's.  Back when I worked for a
> POS software development company ('93-'95) we did all our work in DOS or
> OS/2.
>
> However, if you look around, you'll find some that do write UNIX/Linux
> apis.
>
> Your barcode scanner will be a simple serial/usb interface. It may not even
> have a driver.
>
> The cash drawer and credit card reader may or may not have an interface.
> I'm using ones from various manufacters. I'll look on monday to see if they
> have *nix drivers.
>
> You probably want to look at the individual devices and see what you can
> find. I know that large retailers here in the US often use *nix for their
> systems. (I think Lowe's uses it, for example.)
>
> IBM may be a good bet for *nix integration.
>
> > If it's possible please also give me the information to buy the device
> > from. Virtual shop (website) is also OK. We are in Indonesia as the hint
> > if you have the information of the shop where we can buy the device in
> > offline-way.
>
> Being in Indonesia, I'm surprised you don't have local suppliers.
>

> --
> kai ponte
> www.perfectreign.com

I was looking into this area a few years ago, as i was in the progress of
starting my own company.
There were quite a few POS applications for Linux.
IF you decide in  developing you own propriety system it shouldn't be much of
a problem either.

Have you made any searches online?
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=Linux+point+of+sale+system&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
yields a lot of interesting hits.

There is a Swedish company called Torex that does POS systems for restaurants,
complete with scanners, touchscreens, creditcards and such.
They service /amon others) Hotels, Fashion, Giftshops, Fastfood and a lot
more.
They run their application on either Windows or Linux platforms.
Fast and easy to learn, Very versatile.
http://www.torex.se/
You may want to take a look into that.

--