On Tuesday 28 August 2007 15:15:30 James Hatridge wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I seem to be having odd problems. I see three problems with my system.
> #1 sometimes the bios do not find all three of my HDs (1xIDE 2x Sata).
> #2 sometimes the picture on the screen will stop with lines running left to
> right, when this happens the whole system locks up and I have to hard boot.
> #3 today for the first time while Linux was loading it stopped for about 60
> seconds and then said "ATA-1 time out". It booted, but some programs were
> not there. I rebooted and it was OK.
>
> I hope this is a software problem, but I believe the hardware is about to
> break. Can anyone give me an idea about what to look at? BTW I'm running
> 10.1 on ASRock P4VM8 with 1gb mem, 1x80gb IDE, & 2x Sata 200gb HDs.

- check the (S)ATA cables, long cables=trouble (if you use cheap/bad cables).
- if possible try another PSU, i had so much random failures with cheap ones
(similar to your problems).

try also the usual stuff like memtest, bios/firmware update (unbelievable what
some vendors sell as final hardware). Maybe reset bios to default settings.

--
with kind regards,

Martin Lasarsch, Core Services
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5 90409 Nürnberg
GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.opensuse.org