On Sunday 02 September 2007 02:07, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Saturday 01 September 2007 17:51:40 primm wrote:
> > Hi everyone.
> >
> > I've learned a lot by this thread.
> >
> > The way to go for novice webmistresses seems to be mc (what an amazing
> > piece of kit- thanks to whoever suggested it) or rsync.
> >
> > I used rsync out of desperation.
>
> Did I miss something? I thought you said you used the idea of naming the
> directory with a dot
>
> rsync isn't bad, but I would call it serious overkill in this scenario.

Hi
I'm desperately trying to learn to be a good admin. I'm far from it. In Spain
companies are prepared to pay you loadsa money if you can stop them getting
viruses and you can speak English and Spanish. So I tried just about all
methods everyone suggested. The only ones which worked first time viz me
copying and pasting from this thread to my cli were the renaming as dot
(yours I think) and the rsync alternative. I also used mc as my server does
not have a gui.

What amazes me is that hobbyists (it seems that most people on this site do
not work as admins to earn a living) such as the folk on this list are so
willing and eager to help. Indeed were it not for them I'd not be in the
position I'm in now. You never get that in the workplace. All they do is
complain that vista is so slow now I have the suse server in place.

Love from Lynn.