Hi,

> I am in desperate need of Asterisk 1.4 and freePBX 2.3. Unfortunately, freePBX
> requires Apache to be run as user/group asterisk, what makes current server
> incompatible with any other web applications.

I'm wondering: where is the problem in running as user/group asterik?
After all it's only a name. Other distributions use other usernames.

I probably don't see something obvious but I think that you only have
to find all files owned by www and wwwrun, chown them to asterisk,
change apache's configuration directives, and your other web
applications should work?

Anyway better use a dedicated, physical server for a voip system.

Kind regards,

Gael