On Monday 03 September 2007 10:31, G T Smith wrote:
> Adolph & Sharon Weidanz wrote:
> > G T Smith wrote:

> >> What I am not clear about is whether the other machines have wi-fi or
> >> cable networking ...
> >
> > The other machines are all wi-fi, the only cable I wanted to use was the
> > one between the linksys and the printer.
> >
> >> Unfortunately AP are low level connection points and normal IP based
> >> routing techniques cannot be used with the APs themselves.
> >
> > Since the printer has it's own IP (192.168.1.15) then would the AP be
> > transparent and the packet just hunt down where .15 is?
>
> No.. been there, got the teeshirt.
>
> What you will have is two separate networks that will not pass info
> between each other and random connectivity to the APs that link to those
> networks.. not only will you not get the result you desire you are
> likely to prang the whole network (as routing will become chaotic). To
> integrate the APs you need to bridge between them somehow so everything
> is always connectable to everything else. APs do not function like
> network cards they provide the equivalent of the wire to connect between
> locations.
>
> A possible alternative is a power cable network connection (via your
> power cables, not a lot of bandwidth but do you really need it for a
> printer?). I have never investigated using this technology with Linux
> but it might worth considering in your situation.  .
>
> >> If you choose to run two distinct wireless networks and you need one
> >> machine to connect to both you will need two wi-fi cards on that
> >> machine. To avoid the two interfering with each other you need them to
> >
> > This is what I was hoping to avoid. I guess this is the way to go, the
> > cards are fairly cheap...
>
> With this you will have two approaches available (bridging or routing),
> with the linux bridge support I have had problems with WiFi cards so
> routing is probably the soundest option. BTW you may have further
> problems if you use a laptop for routing, a desktop class machine is
> probably preferable.
>
> >> You do not state the make of printer or the distance between printer and
> >> the box you wish to connect to. Some printer have Bluetooth support or
> >> can be upgraded with a WiFi card this may provide an alternative option.
> >
> > The printer is a Dell 1600N and the linksys router sits next to it. The
> > dlink sits about 30ft away, but because of the location a wire can't be
> > run from the printer to the dlink.
> >
> >> Finally, there are wireless print servers available.
> >
> > But they are more then the wireless cards, and the goal of the setup was
> > to make it work with existing equipment.
>
> Actually if you have old knackered PC available you can put in a a WiFi
> card in it and connect to the printer directly. (You only would only
> need a monitor for the initial setup).

 I musta missed the original post. It sounds like you want to connect a
printer to a router / wap and use it on an existing wireless network.

 I have my computer connected that way right now!

 I had a Linksys WAP11 originally, there is a setting in one of the menu's
that allows it to operate basiclly in reverse, after you set it up you can
unplug a wired system and plug in the AP and the system knows no difference.

 I just upgraded to a Buffalo WHR-G54S and did the same thing, so it can be
done, it's all in the setup! I bought the Buffalo because it was $50 with $25
in rebates.

HTH, Good Luck.
Mike