> I normally use a "Bridged" network connection which uses DHCP connection
> attributed by my modem/router

Same here.

> Does the same thing happen if you re install 10.2 as a new VMware instance ?

I haven't done a reinstall of 10.2 in a while.  I have the various
Betas of 10.3 installed and they are fine so far.  Granted I don't use
them heavily like I do the 10.2 install.

I also have a couple Ubuntu variations installed.. and they are fine.

It is only this one install of 10.2.  I've searched around on the web,
but as of yet turned up nothing that was useful or helpful.

> Note: I have never installed VMware tools on a linux (VMware) installation
> because I have
> never taken the time to read the manual to fine out how.

It's easy... install the RPM, and then run the config perl script.
Advantages are basically you can synch the time of the guest to the
host, smooth transitions for the mouse when you're using a GUI in the
guest, better handling of the graphics card and so on.

I had my NIC probs prior to installing the VMWare tools.... with no
change after installing the tools.