> In any event, peak power consumption occurs only during 100% CPU
> utilization (and that power consumption depends somewhat on the mix of
> instructions, i.e., which portions of the CPU's processing logic is
> active). When the CPU is idle, it's power consumption (and thus its
> heat output) are much less.

I have a dual core.. and under regular use the CPU barely gets above
room temp... well.... it sits at about 30 C.  Regular use... email,
web browsing... low demand stuff.  If I load it up and do something
that pegs one CPU to 100%, the temp rises to about 38 C.  If I max
both CPUs to 100% and leave it, the temp rises to 45 C to 48 C.

So... if you're planning on doing things that will max out the dual or
quad core, then things will get hot.  If you're using it more... for
normal desktop type use, the computer will probably actually run
cooler overall, and be a whole lot more usable when it gets busy doing
something on one CPU.

C.