On Wednesday September 5 2007, Martin Lasarsch wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 September 2007 17:46:46 Ron Eggler wrote:
> > On Tuesday September 4 2007, Robert Lewis wrote:
> > > I know that the E6600 runs well on Linux.
> > >
> > > Anyone have a Q6600 running and have
> > > opinions on this quad processor over the
> > > dual above?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Bob
> >
> > I've been trying to install a system on a Q6600 as well, no luck till
> > now. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!
> > Thanks to everyone!
>
> 10.2, 32bit, from retail DVD. I first installed minimal, later KDE. I had
> the problem that the whole system crashed when going into runlevel 3 from
> 5, or just switching from the desktop to the console. After adding
> vga=cantremember to grub it works fine again (i remember there was a bug
> about this with nvidia cards). I'm not tested everything, but so far the
> system runs fine for me.
>
> I will try beta3 on the weekend on this system.
>
> btw: is you bios up to date? Some boards may have just rudimentary support
> to recognize the CPU and some fixes in later releases.

I haven't checked for a bios update yet but my hope for this is limited....
but i got zenwalk live CD 4.6 booted on my system, i just set "acpi=off" in
the boot loader commandline and it booted up just fine. It features kenel
2.6.21 so i'm in hope that suse 10.3 with a new kernel and "acpi=off" will
boot just fine, unless i'll report a bug for sure (haven't done thisd for
10.2 yet - don't think it's still necessary either). Which kernel is used in
the opensuse 10.3 beta3 which will be released this week?

Thanks for help, especially to Lee ("BandiPat") who actually recommended me to
get the Zenwalk LiveCD. :) Worked out fine, thanks but still would like to
get Suse on my disk :)

Ron