Stan Goodman wrote:
> ** Reply to message from G T Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> on Fri, 07 Sep 2007 20:27:20 +0100

<snip>

> But at the moment, there are three questions on the practical level, of which
> two remain problems:
>
> 1) The jre was installed where it is by rpm without asking me; it is easy to
> remove if I choose to do so; this is not a problem.

True..

> 2) The jdk was installed (foolishly, without thinking) in my home directory,
> and I really want to remove, and to do so in such a way as not to make more
> trouble for myself. The Software Management tool is of no help for this. How
> should I go about removing it, so that I can reinstall from an rpm package?

I am a bit bemused by this... the SuSE install usually puts the JDK in
the Java installation tree... Did you install with YaST or with the rpm
installation tools? Yast should give you the option to remove it if it
was installed via Yast...

> 3) It is possible that the jdk installed by rpm will straighten out the PATH
> question automatically. I would still like to know how one can revise or
> remove
> a directory (i.e. the string between two colons) in the PATH variable. Can
> someone tell me that?

Here you are talking about modifying the bash profiles... Where you make
the changes depends on whether you want the path to change globally or
for a particular user, or on login.

/etc/profile for system wide configuration
~/.bash_profile ~/.bash_login or ~/.profile) for user login
~/.bashrc for non login shells

for a starter

these are effectively scripts and some knowledge of BASH scripting is a
good idea before attempting to modify these, (and read the BASH
documentation). Getting this wrong could make life rather interesting :-)

For Java use editing the PATH variable is NOT required...

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup