Kai Ponte wrote:
> On Saturday 08 September 2007 12:37, wmeler wrote:
>> I am trying to connect to a Wireless network called "Harland Network."
>
> Following up on what David said...
>

>>  I know I need to put the similar information somewhere under the
>> Network Card configuation (in Yast), but not sure where.  From a
>> Windows laptop, I can connect just fine.  Here is the data from that
>> laptop:
>> Address Type: DHCP
>> IP: 192.168.1.104
>> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
>> Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
>> DHCP Server 192.168.1.1
>
> You need to also make sure the wireless is set and active.  There's two
> (slightly confusing) modes to choose from - traditional method (using ifup)
> or network manager (I use Knetworkmanager).
>
> If you have the network manager, you should have an icon in your system tray
> showing the network.
>
> You can right-click and it will show you the wireless networks available.
> Hopefully, "Harland Network" is in that list.
>
> You can then connect using the settings needed (WEP key).
>
> Once you've connected, you should be good to go.
>
>> DNS Server: 192.168.1.1
>
> Dude  - that's MY address. No wonder you can't get in. :P
>
> Linux has a long way to go in order to make it similar to Wintendo in terms
> of
> usabilty, but in the past four years that I've been fully dedicated to it,
> we've made leaps and bounds.

Such Modesty :-)

> HTH!

WiFi is usually OK on the Windows platform for setting up when it is
part of the bundle (e.g integrated on a laptop), but my experience with
3rd party devices under Windows has been a lot less happy. (and heaven
help you with 64 bit windows).

And as for maintaining a connection in a multi-AP scenario things can
get pretty weird, e.g. in early stages of setting up WiFi bridge I set
one AP to only accept traffic from other, but Windows insisted on
attempting to connect to restricted AP even though it was further away.
Network connection went up and down like a yo-yo. Linux, same hardware,
no problem.

I think to some extent that it is more a case of the WiFi device
manufacturers needing to get their act together,  there is too
non-standard proprietary kit out their. (Too much A will not talk to B
unless you have C.... )

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup