Chris Arnold wrote:
> OK, on another OS i can type ftp://domain.tld and be prompted for a
> username and password. When i try that on my SLED SP1 install i get
> bash: ftp://domain.tld: No such file or directory
> Had someone trying this too with ftp://[EMAIL PROTECTED] and that
> would error out also and a man ftp produces something so i believe it
> has the functionality. So my question is how do you use ftp from CL in
> SLED SP1?

You appear to have typed the argument to an ftp program, but neglected
to invoke an ftp program to handle the argument you typed, and the shell
has no obligation to figure out what you mean, as a browser would, for
instance. In the shell, you might want to type something like:

    ftp ftp://domain.tld

for a primitive ftp experience. The first token, "ftp" in this case, is
the ftp program, while the second token, " ftp://domain.tld"; is the
argument to that program. FWIW I prefer ncftp to vanilla ftp.

Joe