RTF wrote:
> Re-hi all,
>
> Last night I successfully (apparently) installed OpenSuse 10.2.  It was
> getting late and I let it run its course when I went to bed.  This
> morning it looked like the only thing I needed to do was set username
> and password but for some reason, it wasn't working.  In the interest of
> time and checking e-mail before I went to work, I went ahead and checked
> mail via Windows.  Tonight, I attempted to boot into OpenSuse but was
> confronted with the sign-on.  I tried what I normally would have used as
> a root username and password unsuccessfully.  The same with my normal
> username and password.  I have not set them but don't know how now to do
> that?  Any clues?  It is installed but I have not yet assigned a
> password for root (nor is root recognized without a password (which I
> have not yet assigned) and I certainly have not yet assigned a regular
> username and password.  :(

It's not exactly clear what you did, but it sounds like you just rebooted
the computer while it was asking for the username/password for the first
user. Not sure why "it wasn't working". So this means you have no user and
no password. You can't log in as root from the graphical user interface,
as it is generally consider a security hole to allow it.

So you need to add a user as root. Ctrl-Alt-F2 (all at the same time) will
bring you to a text terminal. Log in as root, using the password I think
you probably already gave it (I think this comes up before you add the new
user).

Once you get to the prompt, type in 'useradd username', of course replacing
'username' with the username of choice. Answer a few questions (the defaults
should be fine) and then Ctrl-Alt-F7 back to the graphical login screen. Now
you should be able to log in as your user

If the root login doesn't work, you're in trouble. Because you need the root
password by default to boot into single user mode, I think the only option is
to boot with a Live CD of some sort, mount the opensuse / partition and edit
the /etc/passwd file, and clear root's password field.

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
Linux Brain Dump - Linux Notes, HOWTOs and Tutorials:

Daemon Dancing in the Dark, an Open OS weblog:
    http://freebsd.amazingdev.com/blog/