Alfredo Cole-Tuchler wrote:
Hi:

I have a Windows machine which connects to the internet using a Sony Ericsson GPRS card. The internet connection is configured as shared. Using Outlook Express I can send and receive email using my accounts as follows:

1. Gmail
2. pop.secureserver.net port 110 and smtpout.secureserver.net port 80

I have another box running openSUSE 10.2 that is configures to use the Windows machine as its internet gateway. I can surf the web ok, and I can send and receive mail using Evolution from the Gmail account, but not the other account. This box has no firewall in place and DNS is confiured the same as the Windows machine (an external DNS server).

I would appreciate it if someone could point to some docs I could read to fix this problem.

Thank you and best regards.

--
Alfredo Cole-Tuchler
Tegucigalpa, Honduras

I would put the Linux machine on the direct internet connection,
and the Windows machine should use the Linux machine as a gateway.

Personally, I don't trust Windows to behave as it is supposed to
when dealing with any other O/S.  M$ has a long LONG reputation
for deliberately fucking up non-MS platforms whenever they can
get away with it (see M$'s attemp to hijack Java -- court had to
ORDER them to rename it (now C#... yet another deliberate act
to create confusion -- this time with C++ -- among decision-makers
who might not be technically proficient enough to recognize the
difference (hand written "c++" and "c#" look like they could be
referring to the same thing).

Also, a Windows machine directly connected to the internet
without a firewall is just BEGGING for trouble.  I wouldn't
be surprised if it's spewing spam 24 hours/day.