On Wednesday 19 September 2007 10:36, Sloan wrote:
> Stevens wrote:
> > Now that this thread is open, maybe someone can explain
> > something... or maybe I know it already...
> >
> > It goes like this:
> >
> > A pc can only use about 3 GB of RAM because the top GB is
> > used by the system for peripheral addressing, etc.
>
> (IMHO an x86 based computer is not a "pc" unless a "pc" OS is
> installed on it)

What does that mean? There's no longer any real difference between
personal (home), office, desktop, workstation, server or cluster
operating systems. They're configured differently, but Windows, MacOS,
Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, etc. are all generic enough to be used for all
classes of machines. The only possible exception I can think of is that
I've never heard of anyone using Windows for clusters, but I don't know
they're not out there.

PC is just Personal Computer. Treating it as synonymous in some way with
Windows just plays into Microsoft's  hands.

> Joe

Randall Schulz