On Wednesday 19 September 2007 15:11, Hans Witvliet wrote:

> Maximize mem sounds nice, but...

Things must be balanced. An ultra-fast, multi-core CPU with wimpy RAM
just wastes the CPUs, e.g.

> Would you rather use a dual-core with 8GB or a quad-core with 4GB.
> or:
> 4GB DDR-3 or 8GB DDR-2

Well, to date, I've done well with 2 GB for the past few years, but I
put 4 GB in a Core 2 Duo-based system I built recently. So in this case
(assuming all the pertinent mainboard hardware were capable), I'd go
with the DDR-3, since RAM remains a bottleneck (all the more so with
multi-core CPUs).

> Hans

Randall Schulz