Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Wednesday 19 September 2007 12:53, JJB wrote:
Price for the system is the same with quad core 1.6 or dual core 3.0
ghz,

That's an interesting pair of options. I wonder how to analyze one's applications to make the better choice.

The more cores contending for memory access, the more your system
falls short of theoretical maximum throughput.

So, go with the high-speed dual core rather than the low-speed
quad-core.  Memory contention issues will more than destroy the
theoretical 0.4 GHz*CPU advantage of the quad core.

It has mirrored drives... Do your think that cvs + subversion will
get any benefit from 2gb vs 1gb?

That's hard to say. (Why are you using CVS _and_ Subversion??)

Depending on the frequency and nature of client interactions with the CVS and / or Subversion servers and the size of their repositories, it could be very helpful or undetectable.

Given the marginal cost, in a corporate setting I'd just go for the 2 GB configuration right off.

Joel

Randall Schulz