On Saturday 22 September 2007 23:40, Jerry Houston wrote:
> Rajko M. wrote:
> > The /dev/sda2 is marked active.
> > If generic boot loader is in /dev/sda MBR, and grub is installed in
> > /dev/sda2 boot sector, it should pick up and boot from there.
> >
> > So we looking:
> > - is generic boot code in MBR of /dev/sda
> >   dd if=/dev/sda of=sda-mbr bs=512 count=1
> >   strings -n 10 sda-mbr
> > Should give this:
> >   Invalid partition table
> >   No operating system
> >   Error loading operating system
>
> openSuSE-desktop:/ # strings -n 10 sda-mbr
> No active partition
> Disk read error
> No operating system
> Invalid CHS read
>
> > - is GRUB installed in /dev/sda2
> >   dd if=/dev/sda2 of=sda2-mbr bs=512 count=1
> >   strings sda2-mbr
> > It should list in last lines:
> >   GRUB
> >   Geom
> >   Hard Disk
> >   Read
> >    Error
>
> openSuSE-desktop:/ # strings sda2-mbr
> ZRrK
> D|f1
> GRUB
> Geom
> Hard Disk
> Read
>  Error
>
> > You can try tests on /dev/sdb and /dev/sdb1.
>
> On /dev/sdb:
>
> openSuSE-desktop:/ # strings -n 10 sdb-mbr
> Invalid partition table
> No operating system
> Error loading operating system
>

> On /dev/sdb1:
>
> openSuSE-desktop:/ # strings sdb1-mbr
> (apparently there were no results from this)
>

> Does any of this suggest what's wrong?

Yes.
sda  generic DOS MBR (it's a guess as I would have to dig to find one)
sda2 grub MBR
sdb  generic openSUSE MBR
sdb1 nothing ?

The error "Invalid partition table" that you get trying to boot from hard disk
without CD, comes from generic MBR installed on second HD.

Generic MBR can find active partition, but it is not designed to find second
HD. That means GRUB stage1 (boot record) on sda2 is called and redirects
booting to sdb MBR that has no active partition and declares "Invalid
partition table" and quits.

I missed some discussion so I don't know where is installed system that has to
be booted, so I don't know how to remedy the problem.

--
Regards,
Rajko.