On 09/25/2007 04:02 AM, Hans Witvliet wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 07:25 +0800, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
>
>> On 09/24/2007 07:14 AM, Jerry Houston wrote:
>>
>>> Will I be able to do an upgrade from my installed 32-bit system to a
>>> 64-bit system?
>>>
>> No.
>>

>>> If it's going to mean serious pain, I'm happy to stick with a 32-bit
>>> installation, as I'm only using 2 GB of ram anyway.  I'm more or less
>>> interested in a 64-bit system for the curiosity factor -- I've not had
>>> or used one before.
>>>

>> It sounds harder than it really is.  I would recommend to go for it.
>>
> Wasn't there a little issue with some plugins that were not available
> yet for 64-land. (a up-to-date flash f.i.....)?????

By default, mostly because of the plugins, which have been painfully
slow to migrate to 64 bit (>3 years and counting [not open source]), the
64 bit version uses a i586 firefox.  Java, flash are still (after all
these years) only available in 32 bit (though ~2 years ago Blackdown had
a working 64 bit java plugin, but 1.4.2 is getting old now.  BUT<hobby
horse> if everyone keeps using 32 bit software on 64 bit hardware, there
is even less pressure for software makers to make 64 bit versions that
exploit the power of 64 bit.  Running 32 bit software should be seen as
a stop gap measure only.  If we all used 64 bit software on 64 bit
hardware, it would become just as stable and more powerful than 32 bit
is today. </hobby horse>.  But it is your system.  I asked the same
question as you when I upgraded my server hardware from 32 bit to 64
bit.  It happily kept running the current at the time OS (9.3), but when
installing 10.2 x86_64, it could not be an upgrade, but a new install
(except data and backups).  I installed on a different partition, and
used the old install mounted on /mnt to configure the new.  I have not
regretted installing x86_64, which I have used at home since 9.1.  Now I
can again build a package at home if needed and use at work.  For my
needs, I want to exploit my hardware as well as encourage the 64 bit
development community.  Your needs may be different.  I was just giving
you my advice.  Your choice is yours.

--
Joe Morris