> I assume you are saying install the 32bit version of OpenSuse on a 64bit
> computer.

Yes.  For example I have an AMD64 X2 3800+ running the 32 bit install
of openSUSE10.2.

> I guess this would mean no double lib files and everything would be
> 32bit.

Yes.  It simplifies things a little... but as always in these things,
there is a tradeoff.  For home desktop use the tradeoff is relatively
small - ie, it is not likely you will notice it.  For serious use the
tradeoff is a bit more noticeable (server, math calculations etc).

The main issue is with apps that are currently 32 bit only.  For
example the w32codec pack.  It's 32 bit only... which means any apps
that use these codecs also need to be 32 bit... for example MPlayer
and mplayerplugin... which then means Firefox needs to be 32 bit...
and then so do all the files that the 32 bit Firefox are dependent on.
 It's not unmanageable... there are many people on this list that have
a 64 bit install and simply manage the 32 bit apps as needed.  It is
just simpler to go with a 32 bit install...

> Is there any advantage or disadvantage
> of having a 64bit computer running only 32bit software?

Depends on what your use case is.  For average home use... email...
browsing... the occasional game... watching videos... I find that
there is no real advantage of one over the other... except for the
lack of 64 bit versions of certain apps... like mentioned above...

Best way to test is to install both and try it :-)  That's what I did.

C.