On 2007/09/25 10:10 (GMT-0400) Anders Norrbring apparently typed:

>> Från: Felix Miata [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>> All competent partitioning tools will if necessary automatically resize the
>> extended to fit the partitions that can legally be there. If there is
>> freespace adjacent to an existing logical, that freespace should be allowed
>> to be selected in the tool to add another as if it was already part of the
>> extended.

>> Resizing an extended to a smaller size would be an exercise in futility. An
>> extended is actually just a logical construct made up of the individual
>> partitions it contains, plus any intervening freespace that may exist between
>> any of them, plus the MBR partition table entry that points to the first
>> logical partition that the extended "contains".

> With that I take it that for example Partition Magic can do this?  The built
> in tools in Linux refuse since the "filesystem doesn't support resize"...
> I'll make a test on another box first...

I recommend avoiding PM whenever possible, as it likes to prefer windoz
methods where standards are unclear. Parted, Gparted & Qparted all ought to
be able to do it if sfdisk and cfdisk cannot. Also look at fips.

Anyway, there is no filesystem on any extended partition The filesystems are
all on individual partitions, just as with primary partitions. Each may or
may not be resizable according to the actual filesystem installed.

Maybe you should give us your partitioning scheme and plan so we can see what
your actual obstacle(s) may be.

I stick to one cross-platform tool: http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee/
--
"It yet remains a problem to be solved in human affairs,
whether any free government can be permanent, where the

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409