[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 26-SEP-2007 08:22:29.57
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 25-SEP-2007 16:30:46.36
>>On Tuesday 25 September 2007 09:34, Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I try to send an E-mail with the content of an ASCII file as the body.
>>> I do this with the following command
>>>   mail -s subj [EMAIL PROTECTED] < licinfo.txt
>>>
>>> When I give the command on a Fedora (several versions tested) the E-mail is
>>> recieved with the expected text in the body.
>>> If I give the command on an OpenSuse 10.2 system An E-mail which is
>>> unreadable is recieved at the other end.
>>>
>>> How can I get the same behaviour on the OpenSuse system as on the Fedora
>>> system?
>>>
>>>                   Jouk Jansen
>>
>>man mail says the following.
>>
>>-q file
>>              Start the message with the contents of the specified file.  May
>>be given in send mode
>>              only.
>
>Same "wrong" result.
>              Jouk

   cat file.txt | mail -s subj [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   mail -s subj [EMAIL PROTECTED] -q file.txt
All give the same result

However
   mail -s subj [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   <copy paste with the mouse from a xterm where you did "cat file.txt"
   .
gives the desired result.

The problem seems to be that in the former case the file is Base64 encoded
and in the latter case just send in as "plain text". I would like to send
"plain text" in all cases.
I thought that |(piping) or < where only redirecting the stdin. So I do not
understand why mail discriminates between |,< on one hand and "real terminal"
input on the other hand.

                          Jouk

Bush : All votes are equal but some votes are more equal than others.

  Jouk Jansen

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  Technische Universiteit Delft        tttttttttt  uu     uu  ddddddd
  Kavli Institute of Nanoscience       tttttttttt  uu     uu  dd    dd
  Nationaal centrum voor HREM              tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  Lorentzweg 1                             tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  2628 CJ Delft                            tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  Nederland                                tt      uu     uu  dd    dd
  tel. 31-15-2782272                       tt       uuuuuuu   ddddddd