Jonathan Ervine wrote:
> On Thursday 27 September 2007 19:01:26 Jonathan Arnold wrote:
>> David C. Rankin wrote:
>>> Mates,
>>> I have a P4
>>> duo-core processor w/1Gig of RAM and plenty of harddrive space.
>>> Where can I get more info to see if Zen will work or whether I will
>>> have to try a closed source vmware-Workstation. The only apps I
>>> ever need in XP are quickbooks, and occasionally an old Micrografx
>>> Designer.
>
> You should also consider VMware Server. Yes, it's also closed source,
> but is freely available/downloadable.
>
>> Have you tried Wine for these apps? They don't seem particularly
>> demanding and I would assume Wine would work. Much less taxing.
>
> I also agree that wine should be capable of running these applications.
> Of course, Crossover Office from Codeweavers is available to provide a
> shiny front end to wine to make using it much easier.
>
>> Personally, I don't feel that 1gb of RAM is really enough to do
>> virtual machines. Either your main machine or your virtual machine
>> has to get squeezed too much.
>
> /nods - 1GB is _just about_ enough to get one VM running, and it feels
> sluggish either in the VM, the host, or both :-)
>
>> BTW, it is "Xen" not "Zen" "-)
>>
>> There is also a new article on the wiki dealing with virtualization:
>>
>> http://news.opensuse.org/?p=371
>
> Also worth pointing out that Xen requires CPUs with the virtualisation
> technology on board to be able to virtualise Windows XP (you could also
> use LVM as well for that matter). You can check for this support in
> your processors by looking for the flags in /proc/cpuinfo - for AMD
> it's svm, for Intel it's vmx
>
> Regards,
> Jon

Hmm. Crud.. i looks like I have 'vme' on both cores:

[root Rankin-P35a:/home/david] # cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 4
model name      : Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.33GHz
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 1867.000
cache size      : 1024 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl est tm2 cid xtpr
bogomips        : 6671.97
clflush size    : 64

processor       : 1
[...]
bogomips        : 6669.25
clflush size    : 64

Does anyone know if vme absolutely won't work? More reading to do...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC