Someone else answered about the hardware....

> Any information about how well 10.2 in particular performs on the above
> hardware ESPECIALLY multimedia.  He listens to MP3's and watches *.avi
> and DVDs and even plugs his stereo into the line out jack so he can

With 10.2 you would need to install the 3rd party repo stuff.. esp the
Packman builds.  Once that is done, you have full MP3 support as well
as avi and DVD support in Xine, MPlayer, etc.  Personally, with Amarok
and MPlayer/MythTV in 10.2 I have better multimedia support than I
ever did in Windows.  The one exception is DRMed video (the stuff that
requires a license key to be downloaded so you can view it).  That
does not work (well or often not at all) in Linux.

> interested in how 10.3 B3 and later work though from testing on my home
> machines (not Dell), I am not sure it is quite ready for prime time.
> It has 'eaten' my drives, hidden my cursor, blanked my sound, and while
> I'm willing to test and try to debug 10.3, I'm not sure it is quite
> ready for someone so currently Windows centric but 'looking'.

10.3 is still not released.. I would NEVER give a beta release to a
new user.  It has issues.. issues that will be solved before
release... hopefully.  Even after release, I would give it say... 3 or
4 weeks until the last few bugs are discovered and worked out by all
us nutters who have to install it on release day before I woudl
suggest a totally new user set up their very first system on it.
There are (historically) always a few bugs that show on the general
release that were not caught in Beta and RCs because of more people
installing on a wider variety of hardware.  Once that is cleared up
though, I'd guess (given my experience with 10.3) that 10.3 would be
an excellent starting point for your friend.

C.