<sigh> Sent as a reply, not a "reply all."  Sorry -- this is the only
list I've been on for years that works this way.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: [opensuse] boot from USB without USB choice in bios
Date:   Sat, 29 Sep 2007 13:41:11 -0700
From:   Jerry Houston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Billie Walsh wrote:
> Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
>> Would like to use my USB stick for booting a live linux but found up
>> to now no usable solutions.
>> Can somebody help me out?
>
> As someone else already said. First thing would be to see if there is
> a bios update. Just possibly it may allow USB boot.
>
> I don't know what your situation is, or why you want to run it from a
> USB stick. BUT, IF it were me I would just dual boot from the internal
> hard drive. That's exactly what I did with my laptop. I got an eighty
> gig hard drive and partitioned it 50/50. Half for Winders and half for
> Linux.

What he said.  If the idea is to boot from a system on a USB key,
where's your swap partition going to be?

I found out when I tried to put a Win-XP VM on a 16 GB USB key just how
slow those are compared with ordinary disk access.  I mean, I already
knew that, but it wasn't really obvious just *how* bad it was until I
could see controls and buttons on an application getting drawn one at a
time.

I moved that VM to an ordinary external HD with a USB 2.0 connection,
and it was quite usable.  Not as convenient to move from one computer to
another, granted, but it made the difference between works and doesn't
work.  It's not the USB 2.0 bandwidth that's the bottleneck - it's the
flash drive read/write speeds that make it unusable for such a purpose.