On Sun, 2007-09-30 at 08:00 +0200, primm wrote:
<snip>

> One of the boxes on the lan 10.0.0.5 is running xp, the version where you
> need
> an admin password to see the disk. It's that box that is NAT'd on 80 which I
> can see because the router didn't need a password. There is an asp script
> serving a single page. I can see the html it produces but can't see the
> script as I don't have the password. I can't go into that here.
>
> In fact I could produce a similar page using php and just reformat the xp box
> so it's not such a problem. It's just that the other girls don't like the
> look of openoffice. So I have to keep that machine for the time being.
>
> Lynn x
Lynn,
There is a way to reset the windows admin password. It is important that
you determine if the file system is encrypted. The easiest way to do
that is using a Linux live DVD, here is 10.2's
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.2/iso/dvd/openSUSE-10.2-GM-LiveDVD.iso
and look through the file system usually auto-mounted on the desktop as
"C" or "Windows",you should be able to find "c:/inetpub/wwwroot" if not
it could be encrypted or in a non-default location, my guess its not
because anyone using XP Pro to set up a web page is smart enough to be
dangerous but.... Anyway at http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ is
an ISO containing a tool set to change the "administrator" password.

--
James Tremblay
Director of Technology