I have been seeing this problem for a long time.

For me, it is only ever triggered when I "click" on a menu item.  Mostly
the "File" menu item.  However, as I read this comment, I froze it up on
the "Tools" menu, as suggested.

I have nVidia driver (commercial), using "Twinview" with an amd_64 running the
generic version of OOo (not a specific SuSE version).

This has been happening with upgrades of SuSE, OOo, and nVidia.  Nothing seems
to handle it.

From watching this thread, I'm suspect of non-SuSE versions.

The system doesn't actually freeze though.  You (I) can connect via ssh, and
see that what is happened is that the Xorg thread is using all CPU making
keyboard, etc. un-responsive.  ssh session seems to be full speed though.
All I ever have to do is kill -s 09 Xorg (from another PC, ssh'ed into frozen
machine) and system comes back.

Interesting part is that when I re-open the OOo calc sheet, the recovery
wizard comes up, and shows documents that I ~had~ closed that it must have
thought was still open.

I'm going to try and only access the menu items with keyboard shortcuts,
instead of mouse clicks.  I'm suspect that it is the original "click" on the
menu item  (not even enough time for 'release' of mouse) that is causing Xorg
to loop, blocking other processes.

B-)