On Friday 05 October 2007 09:51:09 Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Lior Avital wrote:
> > On Friday 05 October 2007 05:14:17 Fred A. Miller wrote:
> >> Is the 64-bit release any better than 10.2; i.e., modules, apps.,
> >> performance, etc.?
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Fred
> >>
> >> --
> >> This message originated from a Linux computer using Open Source
> >> software: openSuSE Linux 10.2. No Gates, no Windows....just Linux -
> >> STABLE & SECURE!
> >
> > Hey, just completed a fresh install of 10.3 (Gnome) and a move from
> > Ubuntu, OpenSuse 10.3 is really FAST. It utilizes my AMD X2 cpu to the
> > max (I guess AMD is more than just a sponsor). The hardware support is
> > overall great, and even my nForce 590 chipset is installed at maximum
> > utilization.
> >
> > This new version is FUN Linux.
>
> So it is fun to burn the CPU? I am on a P4 2.8 and my suse 10.2 has the
> CPU under utilized most of the time. I consider this to be ok.
>
> Please let me know why 10.3 maxes out the CPU and why this is good.
>
> Thanks much
> Eberhard

I'm not burning my CPU, actually OpenSuse 10.3 uses multi-threading and boosts
performance by utilizing one processor core and exchanging between the cores.
It's clear that OpenSuse 10.3 was optimized for great performance on newer
machines. I don't know what version you are going to use. Anyway, my
processor runs regularly on 3~5% on both cores in clock speed of 1 ghz (AMD
cool&quite), for starting up programs fast the processor loads the
application into RAM (got 2gb) and raise the clocks to 2.1ghz.

I'm sure 10.3 will work great on your machine since this version impressed my
more than any Suse release I can remmember (9.0 my first).
Speart