Ok, it looks like significant changes implemented in Gnome 2.20 GTK+ have
broken LookAndFeel support in Java.

I can run Netbeans, the JDK demo apps, and my apps (Swing GUIs) as long as I
use the default Java laf. When I try to use the GTK+ laf, or a third-party
laf from a jar, is when crashes happen. Limewire crashes since it uses a
custom laf.

Oddly enough, the output of:
System.out.println("UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName()); returns:

"com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel" when run as a user,

"javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel" when run as root.