The Saturday 2007-10-06 at 16:08 -0700, Randall R Schulz wrote:

case is not relevant in vfat.

There's a difference between recording alphabetic case and being
sensitive to it during look-up.

Furthermore, Windows filesystems are a mixed and ambivalent lot. I know
that NTFS records case distinction but, by default, does not respect
them during look-up. But it can be configured to be fully
case-sensitive.

But this is not ntfs, but vfat. In vfat case is not relevant. It will be recorded for long names, but it is not relevant, meaning that NaMe and name and NAME refers to the same file.

Check "man 8 mount" to see if there is some option you can apply; in
10.2 I didn't see it.

There is, as I noted. The option is "case=" and the allowed values
are "lower" (convert names to all lower-case characters) and "asis"
(present names as recorded in the file system).

Yes, I saw that, but only for "hpfs", not "vfat":

] Mount options for hpfs
]       case=lower / case=asis
]              Convert all files names to lower case, or leave them.  (Default:
case=lower.)

And, for vfat the only thing it mentions is this:

] Mount options for vfat
]       posix  Allow two files with names that only differ in case.

The point is: Is 10.3 different in this respect?

However, there are these options for vfat that might apply :

]       shortname=[lower|win95|winnt|mixed]
]
] Defines the behaviour for creation and display of filenames ] which fit into 8.3 characters. If a long name for a file ] exists, it will always be preferred display. There are four ] modes:
]
] lower Force the short name to lower case upon display; ] store a long name when the short name is
]                     not all upper case.
]
] win95 Force the short name to upper case upon display; ] store a long name when the short name is not all ] upper case. ] ] winnt Display the shortname as is; store a long name when ] the short name is not all lower case or
]                     all upper case.
]
] mixed Display the short name as is; store a long name when ] the short name is not all upper case.
]
]       The default is "lower".
]

So, I think the OP could try 'mixed' or 'win95'.

- -- Cheers,
       Carlos E. R.