On Sunday 07 October 2007 20:12:22 Randall R Schulz wrote:
> On Sunday 07 October 2007 10:55, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> > >Typically, "golden master," the instance of a software package or
> >
> > s/golden/gold/. Whether it's actually gold depends on the type of
> > coating and pigment used in the disc layer. May as well be azo,
> > cyanine or phthalocyanine. Really golden discs like in the old days
> > (1995) are rare these days (most switched to azo around '98, and then
> > to phthalocyanine during the inet boom) because cyanine is unstable
> > over the years.
>
> Huh?
>
> Of course it is not gold (a precious and expensive metal), but it
> is "golden" (of the highest quality).

"Gold master" is an industry phrase, not subject to debate. It's just what
it's called

The reason for it comes from how the original wax recordings were mastered,
back at the turn of the previous century (google it)

> It's all metaphor anyway, since said "masters" only exist a the pressing
> plant for stamped discs. (And I don't see why gold could ever have been
> used—it's too soft.

No one ever uses 24 carat gold for anything. Most things called "gold" is
mixed up with about 1/4 of silver, to harden it, making 18 carat gold

> Gold's only really useful properties are high
> electrical and thermal conductivity and resistance to corrosion.)

It's also by far and away the most malleable substance in relatively high
availability, which means you can make much thinner sheets of it