On Sunday 07 October 2007, haz zah wrote:
> I have tried everything. Just through sheer bloody mindedness I have
> done some clean installs and performed all the variations. Nothing
> works.
>
> If I perform the NVIDIA repository update whilst in X (using a working
> nv driver) then immediately after (that staying in that x session)
> sax2 works i.e. finds the 3d nvidia driver and the test is successful
> - I then save the config. Next time I try to start X it crashes. Also
> from that point running "sax2 -r" stand alone causes the same crash.
>
> I am guessing it is a library linking/symbolic link problem but what
> do I know. I am guessing that because there are a set of circumstances
> when sax2 does work (but only after a repository update.)
>
> All I know I went to the effort to try it in 10.3 RC1 and it worked. I
> then made the commitment to 10.3.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions so far.
>
> Pieter

Hi ..

Have you tried the only way i have ever used and noty had a failure yet ..

Alt+F1  to a prompt   log in as root
init 3
cd to location of Nvidia driver downloaded from Nvidia site

./ Nvidia-driver-blah-blah-blah
answer questions that appear normally yes
when all finished modify  /etc/X11/xorg.conf  to change the drivers section to
suit  ie   nv   to nvidia    by hand not using sax

/etc/X11/xorg.conf  sections below

Section "Module"
  Load         "freetype"
  Load         "dbe"
  Load         "type1"
  Load         "v4l"
  Load         "glx"
  Load         "extmod"
EndSection

Section "Device"
  BoardName    "your video card"
  Driver       "nvidia"
  Identifier   "Device[0]"
  Screen       0
  VendorName   "NVidia"
EndSection

then init 5

all shoulg work ok then , this as i say has never failed for me

I have never had any other way of updating the Nvidia driver work they are all
total failures .

PS  you will need the FULL kernel sources installed to match your kernel

sources   modules obj   ...

HTH

Pete .

--
SuSE Linux 10.3-Alpha3. (Linux is like a wigwam - no Gates, no Windows, and an
Apache inside.)