Sax2 helped me get a GUI working, and after installing the ATI driver
I was able to enable 1680x1050 resolution. However, the settings are
reset each time I shut down the machine. I must first login to the
text console as user, then run sax2, and only then can I run startx.
And it 'forgets" the 1680x1050 resolution each time. There is a lot of
output to the screen, I don't know if any of it is important, but it's
too much to write down. If someone could tell me where the appropriate
log is, I'll send it to the list. Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen