On Oct 9 2007 00:19, David C. Rankin wrote:
>Jan, Mathieu, list:

Please always Cc me. It's impossible to find read all the mails that
flow in from mailing lists (among which there is lkml with already
contributes like 12000 per month).

[ An upgrade to 2.6.22.9-ccj54 or newer is HIGHLY recommended because of a
  local root exploit (you get a 'su' for free, so to speak) in earlier
  kernel versions upstream. ]

>       I am having trouble inserting the omnibook (HP omnibook/Toshiba
>Satellite) kernel module in opensuse 10.2 on my Toshiba P35 laptop. This
>is the latest svn snapshot of omnibook trunk. modprobe reports a FATAL
>Error regarding the module format:
>
>[root Rankin-P35a:/lib/modules/2.6.22.3-ccj53-default/extra] # modprobe
>-v omnibook
>insmod /lib/modules/2.6.22.3-ccj53-default/extra/omnibook.ko
>FATAL: Error inserting omnibook
>(/lib/modules/2.6.22.3-ccj53-default/extra/omnibook.ko): Invalid module
>format
>omnibook: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module
>
>       I'm not trying to be disagreeable with the module, so why in the heck
>is it being disagreeable with me? Actually, I think I've been quite
>accommodating to the little guy.

The 2.6.22.3-ccj53 rpm build reused KMPs from 2.6.22.2-ccj52.
`rpm -q omnibook-kmp-default` should confirm that.
This works because modules and kernel can compare API (by means of
agreeing over checksums) instead of (agreeing over) version strings.

[ And this is also why a lot of newbies get confused when the kernel
version does not match the version of, say, ati or nvidia rpm even
though things are working. ]

rpm is smart in this regard, as that it stores the API checksums as
Requires: and Provides: tags for all kernel stuff, so that everything
should workd out.
I *did* test that all ccj52 KMPs could be installed into a ccj53 without
turning up dependency issues.
        (on ccj53 w/o ccj52: rpm --test -ihv *kmp*ccj52*.i586.rpm)
But seems like it hit omnibook anyway. Not sure why that is.

Needless to say that you should upgrade to 2.6.22.9-ccj54 or higher
because of the exploit. I do not have an omnibook rpm for those right
now, but could in a while.