Unless you're an expert in X, don't try these suggestions. I was trying
various solutions as suggested on this list and I managed to screw up X
so bad that I couldn't even use the command line. I had to manually
power down and do a fresh install, after which I still had the problem.
Just a word of caution from someone who's "been there".

Don Henson