On Tuesday 09 October 2007 10:21, nordi wrote:

> Yes, that is another thing. And it is probably not good for the disc
> to move around every 2 seconds all day long.

You're kidding, right? That's virtually an idle drive.

> > Incidentally, if there are any Linux programmers reading, are there
> > file access options or modes that inhibit caching?
>
> Use O_DIRECT when opening the file, this should do the job according
> to "man 2 open". In the case of Azureus, the caching is useful in
> some situations. If you are seeding only one or two 'small' files
> (~100MB) it means Azureus can run without any disc access after a
> while.

Azureus is a Java application. The problem with these platform-specific
access options is that the Java libraries don't provide any means of
accessing them. To exploit them, Azureus would need a custom I/O
library with native implementations to optimize it for each platform on
which it runs. But since it's an SWT application, it's already not 100%
pure Java, so I suppose that wouldn't be as much of step back as it
would be for most Java applications.

> Regards
> nordi

Randall Schulz