On Tue, Oct 09, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> On 10/09/2007 04:10 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
> > Michael Fischer wrote:
> >

> >> # /sbin/lspci -v
> >>
> >> 01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Unknown
> >> device 8167 (rev 10) Subsystem: ABIT Computer Corp. Unknown device
> >> 1c2a Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 10
> >> I/O ports at c400 [size=256]
> >> Memory at fd8ff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
> >> [virtual] Expansion ROM at fdf00000 [disabled] [size=128K]
> >> Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
> >>
> >> The machine is not a laptop... its supposed to be the onboard nic.
> >>
> >> SuSE 10.1
> >>

> > Yes, the 8167 device was not known at the time of 10.1.  Check
> > your /usr/share/pci.ids file, and you'll see that it's missing.
> >
> > Upgrading pciutils should help you, although you may need a kernel
> > update too.
> >

> He could possibly try to run update-pciids as root.  That will update
> the list to the latest.

Hmmm. So, if I update that file, then Yast should be able to offer it as
a network device to be configured?

But possibly I may need a kernel upgrade if one of the other drivers (e.g.
r8169) can handle it?

I note that in hwinfo --netcard, my 3c905 has a hardware address, but the
Realtek does not. What does that tell me about things?

Thanks for the replies.

Michael
--
Michael Fischer