Sloan wrote:
> G T Smith wrote:
>> I think you need to do a little research into both AD and NDS and some
>> Network Operating System concepts.... You are thinking server and
>> machine centric not network centric... e.g. NT user accounts are
>> frequently dynamically created on the local machine on login and the
>> account removed on logout, accounts and their settings exist on the
>> network NOT the machine (I am unaware of anything similar on *NIX). The
>> approach has its problems but works well enough...
>
> Come now, we were using automount on linux back at the university where
> I worked in 1995, with a central nis server where all accounts were
> managed, and all home directories on a central unix file server,
> exported via nfs and samba.
>
> No matter which unix machine I logged into (sun, sgi, linux) I got my
> same home directory, and it was all quite seamless. For those logging
> into pee cees, the samba home directories were accessible as network drives.
>
> This is old, old news in the unix world.
>
> Joe

Hmm... mounting a network drive as a local user is a bit different from
the dynamic creation of an account with appropriate local rights on the
machine.... (and removal of that account afterwards)...I have a vague
recollection that the NIS database acts as a kind of super central
/etc/passwd file among other things.... and I am not really certain it
completely qualifies as NOS in the X500/ND/AD sense, but more as central
authentication mechanism...

As I said elsewhere I had forgotten about this. The institution I worked
for after this passively discouraged use of NFS/NIS in favour of X and
terminal access (apparently on security grounds), but it was mainly a
DEC/IBM/(and later PC) shop with a limited UNIX presence for some
central services and special uses only. Linux on PCs had little or no
presence (and was viewed by some of those in the UNIX side with a little
hostility), and to be honest it was not until about 2000 my periodic
looks at Linux started showing up something that I thought might be useful.

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup