> This is an annoyance everyone is aware of.

Scenario: typing in an IRC client and you are also installing updates.
The focus gets stolen but you are still typing and since some of the
windows also focus the abort button you inadvertently hit it because
the focus was stolen. Now you scream and get upset. Yes this has
happened to me and it took a while to figure out that you don't type
anything while the updates are installing and the focus keeps getting
stolen. Haha..

I kept thinking why couldn't it all be done in just one window with a
progress bar and a label telling me what's happening.