I have some very old hardware running essentially SUSE 9.1, and some
of the PC's have video cards that ddcprobe can't probe.  I get a
message that "EDID read failed".  I need to be able to determine what
kind of monitor is connected to the PC, somehow.  Ddcprobe works great
on the machines with newer videocards, and it actually spits out the
vendors model description.  The old videocards do not seem to be able
to query the monitor.

Maybe an app that queries the monitor directly?

Or maybe a value somewhere in /proc/sys ?

Any suggestions?