On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 13:42 +0200, Stefan Hundhammer wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 October 2007 17:44, Aniruddha wrote:
> > I have attached two examples
>
> Please don't top-quote. This makes answering a real pain.

I am sorry, I really thought it was more convenient, after reading other
posts on this mailing list I realized it wasn't. I even adjusted my
signature ^_^

> I see what you mean. We had that once, but this is really something that is
> very dangerous and thus not desirable in most cases.
>
> The old package manager used to come up with a solution like "delete all
> conflicting packages" - getting rid of everything that depended on the
> package you marked for deletion.
>
> While this can be useful in some very few cases, in many more cases it will
> leave you with a wrecked system.
> But we have more base packages whose purpose is not so obvious to the
> not-so-informed user. XML libs come to mind. While some users might think "I
> don't like or want to use XML", a lot of packages depend on it directly or
> indirectly. Of course, a "delete all depending packages" solution would
> include all indirect dependencies as well.

Why not include less verbose as an option? That way you can have it both
ways. A default verbose mode for the inexperienced user and a less
verbose with as default setting "delete all conflicting packages".

It is a matter of presentation as well. Yast2 could also show a pop-up
window showing in bright red letters the following text

REMOVING PACKAGE FOO MEANS THESE PACKAGES WILL BE REMOVED AS AS WELL

package-lib/dependency
package/very_important_package
package/very_very_important_package

DO YOU AGREE?
YES/NO*

That way it is much clearer for users which choices they do have. And
More importantly you don't have to set them for each package
individually.

--
Regards,

Aniruddha

Please adhere to the OpenSUSE_mailing_list_netiquette
http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_mailing_list_netiquette