Carlos E. R. wrote:

> The Wednesday 2007-10-10 at 10:24 -0400, Jonathan Arnold wrote:
>
>>> on one drive. I like to make /home /tmp /var & /usr separate. Include
>>> the
>>> primary / and you have used 15 partitions. Include one swap for all
>>> of them
>>> and you now have used 16. Actually /swap is on another drive. I still
>>> have
>>> about 80GB left on that disc and not enough partitions to use it  if I
>>> continue with my current thinking.  What are the three that you use?
>>> Are you
>>> not afraid of running out of space in the partitions which can grow
>>> so fast?
>>
>> But why do you need separate partitions for all of those? All it adds is
>> complexity, unless you live and breathe 'dd', which is most
>> comfortable with
>> partitions. You would have separate partitions if you wanted to share
>> the /home
>> folder, for instance, but not if they are completely isolated. Just
>> put them
>> all in / and be done with it, I say.
>
> I don't see why we should put everything in /.

Not saying you should, just wondering why you wouldn't. Seems to be much
less complicated that way.

>> And why not share the swap partition? Nothing special goes in there.
>>
>> I'm an OS junkie too, but four partitions per hard drive work fine.
>
> How do you install half a dozen OSes in the same disk, without doing
> partitions?

Well, I stick with four myself, but as I have 3 drives, each can have
4 of them.

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
Linux Brain Dump - Linux Notes, HOWTOs and Tutorials:

Daemon Dancing in the Dark, an Open OS weblog:
    http://freebsd.amazingdev.com/blog/