On Sat, 2007-10-13 at 13:02 +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 00:08 -0500, suseROCKS wrote:

> > > I didn't know. IMO, a11y instead of accessibility is a non accesible
> > > acronym, as the user with vision dificulties will probably not spot the
> > > "ones" - that's what happened to the OP, I think. >:-)
> > >
> > That's correct.  When he said "a11y (not ally)"  I still only saw "L's"
> > and wondered what the heck he was critiquing, then when Carlos said
> > "ones" I realized the difference.  :-)
>
> Please accept my apologies. I thought that saying "a11y (not ally)"
> would prompt you to check exactly what I'd written. If you can't see the
> difference even when looking carefully, are you aware of the xmag
> application? BTW, I agree with everybody that it's a really naff
> acronym.

I'm trying to avoid having to use additional tools while I can.  All of
these things take up valuable real estate on our screens.  :-)

> > As an example, one trick I use for finding my mouse pointer is to focus
> > on the upper left corner of the screen and then keep dragging my mouse
> > until the pointer comes into focus.  Then I can follow my pointer to the
> > location I want to use it.
>
> As an alternative, are you aware of the xeyes application? It gives you
> a small window at a specific position on the screen that indicates
> approximately where the mouse is. You might find it helpful. IMHO, even
> better could be one or two simple pointers in the corners of the screen.
> If such a thing doesn't exist, it could easily be made.

Xeyes is cute, but only tells you the general direction where the
pointer is.  Not the exact location.  Also, if you run it stand alone,
it gets lost behind other windows and thus useless almost immediately.
And if you run it as an applet, it takes up valuable real estate on the
panel, plus becomes even less useful because it has a larger "general
area" to point you to.

> > Years ago, back in Windows 3.1 days, there was an add-on that allowed me
> > to quickly move my mouse pointer to the center of the screen by clicking
> > a set of hotkeys.  Never saw it again after Win95 came around.  :-(
> > Would be great if someone could create something like that again for
> > Suse.  :-)
>
> I don't know whether it is possible to use a program to move the mouse
> in X11. I haven't found any API yet. Does anybody happen to know? If the
> facility exists, it will be easy to write an application to do this.
> It's probably worth checking on an accessibility-related list like the
> gnome one to see if it already exists.

In 9.3, if you hit the ctrl button alone a square box would quickly zoom
in to the mouse pointer.  It was based on some setting somewhere, I
forget where.  But it was useless because you had to be looking at the
pointer to see the momentary zoom box.  LOL.  But obviously something
along these lines has already been done and could be expanded upon here.

> > Websites are also causing problems these days.  Seems like everyone
> > wants to go for the cool factor, which today is white background with
> > grey fonts.   More and more visually-impaired people are complaining
> > about this.    But I'm going off-point here a bit.
>
> It needs the governments to actually prosecute some prominent site for
> violating the accessibility laws!

I disagree.  I'm feeling far better results already just sitting here
talking about this.  Too often, I see developers complain about being
forced by governments to do this and that for accessibility reasons.
Oftentimes, the reason they complain is because they never see the
affected people to begin with.  My participation here, as well as
others, and getting a dialogue going in a more open fashion is probably
far more beneficial to the developers than any court decree.   I am
certain that developers watching this are far more appreciative of the
issues than if we weren't talking about it here.

Education and exposure is the key, not litigation.  (Unless even after
you educate and expose and they refuse to comply.  :-) )

> Cheers, Dave

And thanks for your feedback Dave.

Bryen