Razi Khaja wrote:

You need to put the boot loader and boot partition on the internal
hard disk (you can specify this during install ... specifically when
you format the boot partition and install the grub boot loader).  The
remainder of your opensuse OS partitions will live on the external usb
disk or memory stick. I managed to get this to work on an old IBM T20
laptop that did not support boot from USB where the boot partition
lived on the internal disk (unfortunately that system died).

Alternatively you could put the boot partition on a CDR. The CDR
option is a little more complicated.  I havent tried this, so my guess
is that you will have to copy the boot partition to the CDR and
possibly modify /boot/grub/menu.lst passing kernel parameters to
appropriately reference the location of /root and swap.

See http://en.opensuse.org/Installing_SuSE_on_External_USB_Drive for more ideas

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=2903697
also has some details.