Ian Smith wrote:
I've been doing some benchmarking of OpenSUSE using UnixBench 5.1. I noticed that 10.3 is 15% - 25% slower than 10.2. (10.2 was 50% faster than 10.1, yay!).
The benchmark is really showing very strange numbers. The shell script benchmark (consisting mainly of sort and grep) is only _half_ as fast in 10.3 as in 10.2 in your measurements. I ran that test on my system and got similar results. Interestingly, the performance is much higher if I switch to runlevel 1!!! Here are my results for "./Run shell1" on a Pentium M at 1.3Ghz:

Suse 10.0, runlevel 5:    511.4
Suse 10.0, runlevel 1:    920.7

Suse 10.3, runlevel 2:    385.9
Suse 10.3, runlevel 1:    756.9

Please note that Ian's Intel Core Duo Processor at 2Ghz scored only 557.9 points on this test, while my much older 1.3Ghz Pentium M scores 756.9 points, at least when I benchmark in runlevel 1.

This is _very_ strange. Usually I would say the benchmark is broken, but the benchmark simply starts a shell script that starts some GNU utilities. There's not much you can break here.

Can someone confirm that running in runlevel 1 yields much higher benchmark scores?

Puzzled
nordi