On 10/14/2007 09:39 PM, Steve Jacobs wrote:
> I *think* it is the bcm4306. I read about the fwcutter bit, but
> thought that since I saw a line for bcm43xx in modprobe -l, I didn't
> need to pursue that.

Wrong (and please do not top post).  The driver (even in Windows)
dynamically uploads firmware code to allow it to work.  The linux driver
does the same, as the firmware is proprietary and specific to models,
revisions, etc.
> Obviously I don't completely understand modprobe, or how these pieces
> all tie together.
Modprobe loads a kernel module into the running kernel, so its code works.
> I always thought firmware referred to code inside a
> chip on a piece of hardware (flash-rom).
It is hardware specific code.
> Are the .ko files displayed
> when I do a 'modprobe -l' the installed device drivers?
Not exactly.  man modprobe gives more info.  It should basically list
all kernel modules in a certain directory.  To see what modules are
loaded (and therefore able to run) use lsmod.
> If bcm43xx.ko
> & ndiswrapper.ko are listed, than that means the drivers I need are
> present, right?

They are compiled modules you could use, but they could contradict each
other.  Ndiswrapper loads the windows sys file, which contains the
firmware the manufacturers write to control the hardware.  bcm43xx loads
the firmware and allows a more native way for broadcom 43xx adapters to
interface with the kernel.
> I'll try fwcutter and see what happens.

It will make a big difference.

--