On Oct 17 2007 16:01, G T Smith wrote:

>You do not need dd (or mount), tar with with the DVD/CD device name as
>target does it  nicely for reading (and writing). I would expect
>multi-volume tar to work in the same way as it would with a tape device
>in this scenario...

That only works with certain writers and discs. DVD+RW for sure,
DVD-RAM. No idea about DVD+R. CD-RW in packet mode maybe. Use of
pktcdvd is advised because its buffering is just advantageous (too
lazy to search for details), and it may (or may not - who knows)
solve the Read-Only problem.

Stupid DVD drives die after exactly 2 years and 1 month, and I've
hit that timespan again so can't check.

>One can effectively treat a writeable DVD/CD as datastream media (i.e.
>like a tape Basically the track layout is the same as that of a vinyl
>record, a long spiral, not a block and sector layout like a floppy or
>HD..).

But when not in packet mode, you need to update the TOC. And the
kernel does not do that for you.