When I shut down my 10.3 box with the panel shutdown applet. it does not
go down every time, the desktop lets me change virtual desktops but
nothing else works.
After several minutes I go out to a virtual console login and execute an
init 0 or init 6 whichever is appropriate and things happen.
no log messages appear in /var/log/messages
I am logged in as a non-privileged user.

problem #2
My work network refuses to allow everybody 100mbit/full duplex so most
ports are set to 10mbit/full and some of us special people get 100/full.
but auto-negotiation is off, and so I have to use
  "ethtool eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off"
This worked flawlessly with 10.2 but with 10.3 when I set this the
network adapter just stops working altogether, no IP address etc.
--
Todd Ness